Osteopathy specialises in the diagnosis, management, treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal and other related disorders. It works on the basis of 'Structure governs function'.
These can include but are not limited to:
- Acute/chronic back pain
- Neck pain
- Osteoarthritic pain
- Sports injuries
- Repetitive strain injuries
Osteopathy uses hands on treatment, and where appropriate might include all or just some of the following techniques:
- Manipulation of the spine or joints
- Articulation of the spine or joints
- Soft tissue massage to the muscles
- Fascial release
- Medical acupuncture (dry needling) may be used where appropriate during the treatment. It is often a fast and effective way of relieving pain by the use of fine needles inserted into the trigger points of muscles. It can often resolve pain that has existed for some time.
(It can only be undertaken by a qualified health professional who has completed post graduate training.)